Have you ever pondered how some LinkedIn posts manage to captivate and engage their audience effortlessly? Do you want your posts to grab the attention they deserve but don’t know where to start? Don’t worry, I’m here to assist you. It’s not an overnight success story for most LinkedIn influencers.
The truth is, crafting a compelling LinkedIn post requires some serious hard work. You need to invest time and energy in research and testing before you can hit the jackpot and achieve a broad reach. But fear not! I have some practical tips on how to create content for LinkedIn that can increase your visibility and help you connect with high-quality connections. So, what are you waiting for? Let’s dive straight in!
Determine the aim or objective of your content
To create captivating content on LinkedIn, the first step is to identify the reason behind producing it. Is your objective to become a leading authority in your industry? To generate leads or acquire new customers? To engage with current customers and enhance their loyalty? To expand your network? Or to demonstrate your expertise to potential employers? While not every content piece needs to fit into this objective, being aware of the purpose behind your content creation can help you develop posts that will resonate with your audience.
Establish your audience
Once you have established the purpose of your content, the next step is to identify your target audience. Your audience will depend on the goal of your content.
For instance, if your aim is to acquire new customers or generate leads, your audience will resemble your ideal customer for your brand. Alternatively, if you intend to establish yourself as a thought leader in your field, your audience will consist of individuals in your industry.
Regardless of your objective, understanding your audience is crucial to crafting content that they will find appealing and engaging. After identifying your target audience, it’s essential to gain an understanding of their:
- job titles
It’s crucial to ensure that the audience you intend to focus on is active on LinkedIn. Also, it’s vital to comprehend the type of content your audience is interested in and engages with. By discovering your niche, you can provide direction to your content, distinguish yourself from competitors, and produce relevant and actionable content for your audience. This can significantly increase the success of your content.
Develop a content strategy
Once you have established your goals and identified your primary audience, the next step is to create a content strategy. This involves:
- Generating a list of potential topics
- Scheduling deadlines for drafting, reviewing, and publishing content
- Deciding on the types of content to be produced (articles, videos, images, infographics, etc.), Allocating a budget to boost posts (if necessary)
It’s crucial to determine whether your posts will be brief or lengthy, or a combination of both. Will your posts consist solely of articles or include a blend of photos, videos, and infographics? How will you create these different types of content? Remember, “content” does not solely refer to words. Offering a diverse range of content types can help keep your audience engaged and interested.
To gather ideas for your content, it’s essential to have a clear understanding of your goals, audience, and overall content strategy. Engaging your audience, getting likes, comments, and shares, as well as generating clicks on links, are some of the key objectives of creating content.
A great way to start brainstorming ideas is by looking to thought leaders, companies, or experts in your industry. Take note of the types of content they are producing, the questions they are answering, and how they engage with their audience. Pay attention to the topics they focus on and try to identify opportunities to create your own unique content.
By researching successful brands and individuals in your industry, you can gain valuable insights and inspiration for your own content. Use this information to generate fresh and engaging content that resonates with your audience and serves a purpose.
Generate and brainstorm content ideas
Start with the ideas you’ve gathered from other thought leaders and influencers. Here’s a list of other thought starters for you:
- Address common customer questions and concerns.
- React to industry news and articles.
- Share engaging stories about your brand, company, employees, or products.
- Share inspirational or motivational content.
- Discuss your industry and provide insights on trends and developments.
- Share your learnings from books, podcasts, webinars, or conferences.
- Offer advice and tips to your audience.
- Share personal challenges and how you overcame them.
- Celebrate weekly wins.
- Share relevant industry data and provide your analysis.
- Share obstacles your brand faced and how you overcame them, offer advice to others.
- Repost interesting articles or content.
- Highlight significant milestones and accomplishments.
- Conduct interviews with team members, employees, executives, or customers.
- Share company news and product updates.
Ultimately, the possibilities for creating engaging content are endless. What matters most is producing content that resonates with your audience, is informative, and relevant.
Plan and draft your posts
When creating posts on LinkedIn, focus on text-only content as it tends to perform better. Keep in mind that posts can be up to 1,300 characters long, but the first 2-3 lines are critical since the rest of the post will be hidden until the viewer clicks on “see more.” Therefore, it’s important to make those initial sentences compelling enough to pique the audience’s interest and encourage them to read the rest of the post.
Other tips include:
- Utilise concise and clear sentences for better readability.
- Divide the post into smaller paragraphs with spaces in between.
- Use emojis or symbols to create separation between sentences.
- Use up to five relevant hashtags.
- Tag individuals who are likely to engage with the post.
- Ensure that references made in the post are authentic and credible.
- Add prompts or questions to encourage engagement from the audience.
Use data analytics
To improve the effectiveness of your content, it is crucial to evaluate its performance periodically. Here are some questions you should consider:
- Am I targeting the appropriate audience with my content?
- Is my audience responding to my content?
- Are individuals liking, commenting on, or sharing my posts?
- Which type of content is generating more engagement, and what seems to be falling short in terms of impact?
In addition, make sure you monitor the comments left by viewers. Are they enjoying the content? Are their comments positive? Is the content stimulating a dialogue?
It may come as a surprise that the number of followers you accumulate is not particularly significant. What truly matters is the expression of your voice and expertise that shines through and is reinforced in your content and posts.
Your impact within your industry is not necessarily determined by the size of your audience or network.
Instead, it is determined by the calibre of individuals who read and engage with your content. The saying “quality over quantity” holds true in this case too. If your network is smaller but actively involved, shares your posts, and boosts your reputation as an expert, your content will achieve greater success.
P.S. Here are 5 ways we can help you accelerate your Lead Generation results:
1. Follow Adam Houlahan’s LinkedIn Profile Now Click Here
2. Join our FREE LinkedIn Group and connect with entrepreneurs who are scaling too
It’s our Facebook community where smart entrepreneurs learn to get more leads and smart ways to scale using LinkedIn — Click Here
3. Take our FREE LinkedIn Productivity Assessment
Score your current presence and activity on LinkedIn against industry best practice benchmarks. Receive customised results instantly and as a BONUS you’ll get a FREE PDF download of Amazon’s Best-selling book “The LinkedIn Playbook” Click Here
4. Join our Content Ninja Club Today!
This Club is a community of professionals who are dedicated to mastering LinkedIn engagement and seeing real results. In fact, members experience a 300% to 1000% increase in content traction! The best part? You can join the Club accessing a comprehensive set of tools and resources for just $197 AUD/month with no lock-in contracts. Join today Content Ninja Club Registration
5. Learn more about the four most effective conversion strategies for LinkedIn success
When we analysed the most successful conversion campaigns amongst these, we found there are four very specific strategies that deliver the most consistent results year after year. We call them ‘The Magic Four’. Take the Questionnaire now to assess your suitability Click Here