If 2020 was the year of learning how to work from home let’s make this the year you finally start creating video content. It can be daunting when you first start out so I’m going to share some tips that help to take the angst out of the exercise.
First of all, why bother?
There’s compelling evidence that including video in your content mix can have a major positive impact on your audience engagement. And isn’t that what content marketing is supposed to do?
LinkedIn’s research shows that 51% of video marketers have used LinkedIn as a channel and 84% of them report very positive results. And around 96% of survey respondents confirmed that they have watched short explainer videos to learn about a service or new product.
And before we go any further, yest subtitles are important. Over 90% of those surveyed prefer watching videos with subtitles.
That actually makes a lot of sense when you think that most social media videos are viewed on a mobile device. If you’re on public transport, in a cafe or shopping mall it’s almost always better to watch with the sound turned right down or off altogether.
I promised some beginner’s tips so here goes:
- Keep them short. On LinkedIn they need to be under 2 minutes running time. 90 seconds is ideal. Most people will check the running time before starting the video and if it’s longer than 2 minutes very few people will go any further
- You don’t need fancy lighting and cameras to begin with. Use light that’s as natural as possible with no glare spots and watch out for strong backlighting (e.g.sunshine) that will turn you into a mysterious silhouette
- If your smartphone has a good camera that will do for your first few attempts but you will want to upgrade to a better camera in due course
- Choose a background that is fairly neutral and doesn’t distract the viewer. Watch out for inadvertent “photo-bombing”
- Content – just as with your text posts or blogs choose topics that are relevant and helpful to your target audience. Of course you can weave in your own story but make it more about them than about yourself and they’ll keep watching
- As with any content marketing keep SEO in mind as you shape your video script. Does the title grab attention and does the script contain the search terms your audience will use
- Consider including a downloadable transcript as well as the subtitles
Be kind to yourself and don’t expect to get it right the first time. This is a new skill and like all new skills takes practice and you may even benefit from some coaching along the way.
P.S. Here are 5 ways we can help you accelerate your Lead Generation results:
1. Grab our free 4-Week LinkedIn Profile Optimisation Course
It’s the road map to positioning your profile in the top 5% of the 750+ million LinkedIn members – Click Here
2. Join our FREE LinkedIn Group and connect with entrepreneurs who are scaling too
It’s our Facebook community where smart entrepreneurs learn to get more leads and smart ways to scale using LinkedIn — Click Here
3. Register for our FREE LinkedIn update webinar
Every 10-Weeks you can join us for a free update on all the latest news, ninja tips and outline of new features released by LinkedIn – Click Here
4. Join our LinkedIn Inner Circle Solo Program on our Free Trial Click Here for more details
5. Work with our team privately
You might be surprised to know what exactly we do, it’s a little different to what you may expect. Watch this short video that outline the 3 outcomes you will achieve working with us – CLICK Here